Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Limed Buttermilk Skillet Cornbread

So, after my earlier post about the benefits of liming or nixtamalizing your corn, here my progress so far on this great limed cornbread experiment. (I'm sorry it won't be done in time for Thanksgiving likely. But in time for plenty of chili this year!)

I'll update this post as I finish it.

To start, I took 2 c. of cornmeal, and 1.5 c. of limed water, and let it sit on the counter. (to make lime water, just add lime, pickling lime, or cal to a jar, fill it with water, lid it, shake it up, and let it settle the cloudy water is lime water, leave the sediment in the jar. Then refill with water, shake again, let settle again, and it is ready for your next corn dish. The way it works is that each time, you are disolving lime in water to its (very low) saturation point. Because so little can disolve, it takes a long time to use up the cal in the water. That's fine, it will keep.)

24 hours later, I added about 3-5 T whole milk (unhomogenized). I just poured, and forgot to measure, sorry, but thats my estimate, and 2 T cultured buttermilk. I set the cornmeal on top of my stove with pilot light, to keep it warm, which is where I normally culture my buttermilk.

Tomarrow morning or evening, I plan on adding salt, butter, eggs, and baking soda, then popping it in a hot oiled skillet, and baking until done. hopefully it turns out.

(And if it doesn't, I've got enough buttermilk culturing on the stove to make a batch of unsoaked cornbread. Hey, I need the cornbread for t-day, and its still healthier than boxed.)

As I promised, I will update this post with news as I have it. It may flop. It may fly. But its sure to be exciting!

Update:
So it turns out that Nourishing Traditions has a recipe for limed cornbread.... oops lol. Anyways, from sheer stubbornness, I winged it a little bit, but partially followed the recipe. I added more buttermilk (totally about 1 c. dairy), half a stick of melted butter, 3 eggs, 1 tsp salt, and then mixed. when it was all mixed, I added 2 tsp baking soda, popped it in the hot, buttered cast iron skillets in the 350 preheated oven, and baked it until I remembered I had cornbread in the oven.

The results: all cornbread in our house will be limed. Its easy peasy. However, I would recomend something a little finer than cornmeal. Cornmeal is a bit... grainy. It will be great in stuffing, all covered in stock (yikes, I hope I have enough, I only have 4 c. concentrated chicken stock!!! I thought I had more. should have made some with that carcass rather than freezing it. oh well, I'll make some when we get home.)

I highly recomend giving the NT recipe a try (though I might cut back a tiny bit on the baking soda. It does taste a little baking soda-y. maybe 1.75 tsp baking soda?


Corn Bread Recipe:
Day 1: Soak 2 c. corn flour and 1.5 c. lime water.
Day 2: Add 1 c. buttermilk.
Day 3: Preheat oven and cast iron skillet to 350. Add 3 eggs, 1/8 lb butter, 1 tsp salt, 1.75 tsp baking soda, mix. Oil skillet. Bake until done maybe 45 min-1 hour.

Happy thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU ! I spent hours the other day looking for directions (all the while I have a NT sitting on my shelf and it never occurred to me to look there. But, I seem to be most sensitive to corn products and was really looking for a way to make cornbread do-able. This is terrific!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    btw - I'm not "Brian" but Brian's wife - Elaine :)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something interesting, useful, fun or constructive to say? I'd love to hear it. Tell me what you think of my ideas, my projects, my work, or tell me about your ideas, projects and work. Be nice though please, I am a person too. If you think my work sucks, either say it nicely, tell me how I could make it better, or don't say it at all.